Musty Smell from Vents at Start Up
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Musty Smell from Vents at Start Up

When I first start my ATS, I get a strong whiff of a musty smell from the air vents. It goes away pretty quickly, but that first puff of air is definitely old smelling.
    Anyone else smelling this? My ATS is garage kept, but I do live in Florida, so it's hot and humid.
    I got the car in December 2012, and have 9,000 miles. Mostly highway driving.

I mentioned it to my dealer's service department at the first oil change, and he had the tech spray something into the vents, but honestly it was a cover up that did not last.

Just curious if anyone else has this small issue.

Thanks,
    Pat

2.0T Luxury, Glacier Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by PatP View Post
    When I first start my ATS, I get a strong whiff of a musty smell from the air vents. It goes away pretty quickly, but that first puff of air is definitely old smelling.
    Anyone else smelling this? My ATS is garage kept, but I do live in Florida, so it's hot and humid.
    I got the car in December 2012, and have 9,000 miles. Mostly highway driving.

I mentioned it to my dealer's service department at the first oil change, and he had the tech spray something into the vents, but honestly it was a cover up that did not last.

Just curious if anyone else has this small issue.

Thanks,
    Pat

2.0T Luxury, Glacier Blue Metallic
    Hello PatP,

I apologize for any inconvenience of a musty smell in your air ventilation once starting your vehicle. I appreciate the fact that you brought this to our attention. I understand how you want to hear feedback from the community in regards to this matter and if anyone else has experienced it. Let me know if you would like to discuss any concern or issue further, or have any other questions. I can be contacted via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I'd check the cabin filter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
    I'd check the cabin filter.
    Agree, usually its the cabin filter that got clogged......

Has anyone figured out a sure way to get rid of the smell yet?

My 2013 ATS has the same problem, it has been to the dealer 3 times for repair. They have changed the cabin filter and changed the programming on when the water condensation is supposed to be drained from the car (it wasnt draining on shutdown, instead it drained when the car was later started). If some one has finally figured out a way to solve this, any help would be much appreciated.

Hello viper24820,

I am sorry to hear of the ongoing vehicle concern you've been experiencing with your 2013 ATS. I understand you are seeking advice from other forum members, but please feel free to send me a private message to further discuss your situation. I can set up a case file for you in our system documenting your vehicle concern and comments, and reach out to your dealership on your behalf. I can be reached via private message or email at socialmedia@gm.com. Be sure to include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I too, have had problems with the musty smell upon startup on my 2013 ATS. just got it back from the dealer where, of course, they didn't smell it, and even went so far as to reply in the service order comments that it was a pet urine smell. ( make it the customers fault, right?) Anyway, they sprayed some stuff in the cabin which didn't last 2 hours. Can someone please help? Spend this much money on a new car and have to deal with this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I am having the same problem and my car it's a 2014!! I was thinking taking it to the dealer but if all they do it's spray something on it it's not worth it. I will take it tomorrow to see what they say.

Hi tomby and Rodriguezm19,

I am sorry that both of you are experiencing this foul odor in your vehicles. If you would like, I would be happy to reach out to the dealership on your behalf to express your concern and schedule an appointment. Please feel free to PM me your VIN, mileage, dealership and contact information so I create a case file and get started. If it is more convenient, you can email me at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN: Austin” in the subject line.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I just took my 2014 ATS to the dealership (Tom Peacock in Houston) for the same problem. I've been noticing the smell for about the last 3,000 miles (I have 9,000 miles total on the car). The shop manager said this was a common problem with the ATS and it involves the A/C evaporator holding condensation after the car is turned off. He said there is a fix that involves installing a part that keeps a fan running to evaporate the condensation after the car is turned off (along with drying everything out and replacing the cabin air filter). According to the shop manager there is a service bulletin detailing this problem. I was starting to have serious respiratory problems and I mentioned the odor coming from my A/C vents to the doctor and he suggested that was the cause of my respiratory issues. We will see if a warranty visit solves $500 in doctor bills.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements