Cadillac ATS vs. BMW 3-series

Cadillac ATS vs. BMW 3-series

The Cadillac ATS is based on a new front engine, rear drive platform, so it promises the desired driving dynamics of a rear-driver (i.e. limited understeer, oversteer controlled by throttle inputs). They have come very close to matching the BMW 3 as a driver's car, so the question is how can Cadillac get more people into an ATS for a test drive, to demonstrate its capability?

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
    The Cadillac ATS is based on a new front engine, rear drive platform, so it promises the desired driving dynamics of a rear-driver (i.e. limited understeer, oversteer controlled by throttle inputs). They have come very close to matching the BMW 3 as a driver's car, so the question is how can Cadillac get more people into an ATS for a test drive, to demonstrate its capability?
    It's a problem. None of the salesmen (no ladies) that rode along in my test drives liked having the throttle used for yaw control.

Place some ads by BMW dealerships

4. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements

I sent my other bmw for service and I had a 2013 bmw 328i loaner from the dealer parked side by side with my ATS 2.0T in my driveway 2 days ago. I drove one after the other to see the difference. The ATS is stiffer, steers more precisely, and sounds better at any rpm. The 328i is softer, has more steering play, more cushy, feels bigger, and sounds bad at high rpm. I like the all around visibility of the 328i better. The 328i interior looks cheap and basic. The 328i is a very comfortable car for everyday driving. The ATS is more hard edge and has a more sporty feel. So BMW has become more Cadillac like, and Cadillac has become more like a BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I sent my other bmw for service and I had a 2013 bmw 328i loaner from the dealer parked side by side with my ATS 2.0T in my driveway 2 days ago. I drove one after the other to see the difference. The ATS is stiffer, steers more precisely, and sounds better at any rpm. The 328i is softer, has more steering play, more cushy, feels bigger, and sounds bad at high rpm. I like the all around visibility of the 328i better. The 328i interior looks cheap and basic. The 328i is a very comfortable car for everyday driving. The ATS is more hard edge and has a more sporty feel. So BMW has become more Cadillac like, and Cadillac has become more like a BMW.
    thats the best way to put it, i think the whole industry can see that BMW has lost their sporty edge and isn't the BMW we once knew.
    Cadillac & Lexus are stepping up with some really competitive vehicles now.

Road and Track seems to think that the Cadillac ATS could beat out the 3-Series and be the new reigning champ. While the new BMW 3-Series is sfoter and more middle of the road than its predecessor, the Cadillac ATS encourages pushing limits and is super fun to drive. The V6 engine in the ATS is "a smooth, willing engine, and it makes all the right sounds."

The one negative R&T mentions is the Cadillac User Experience interface (CUE). Apparently this is one of the most frustrating infotainment systems ever.

I think that the 3-Series being surpassed by another has more to do with the continued quality of BMW and less to do with other cars. If BMW messes up and leaves room for an attack, Cadillac or some other company (Audi?) will move in.

Love to hear what you have to say about comparing the ATS to the BMW. I came from a 2002 325i to the ATS 2.0T Lux. Initially I was disappointed with the ATS' drive when compared to my 325. Felt the ATS to give a lot softer, looser. and less "road feel" drive, not the driver's car that the classic E-46 is. But then I knew that since 2006, BMW softened everything up and now at 2013, all these cars are relatively soft. However, it is good to know that on relative terms, I am now driving one of the best handling cars in its class.

I bought a 1994 BMW 325i new and kept it for 12 years. They were truly ultimate driving machines in those days. But in the last 5 years I owned it I had to spend a fortune to keep it running. I have the same reliability issue with my current BMW 750i. My advice is not to own any Bimmer for too long. Leasing is a better option if you want a Bimmer.

Back to my ATS 2.0T. When I sent it in for the first service, the dealer gave me an ATS with the V6 for a loaner. Again, like I did the comparison with the BMW 328i in my earlier post, I drove my ATS 2.0Turbo before and after the naturally aspirated V6 loaner. It all comes to personal preference between the two ATS but I have to tell you this. The V6 had the best of the muscle car, especially with its load, throaty exhaust note and explosive acceleration while still keeping the virtue of a sport sedan. The 2.0T sounded more subtle albeit still sporty. It made itself heard when pressed hard - speaks when spoken to, with a well refined exhaust note. The most amazing thing I learned in this comparison was how different they felt in steering. I never thought that the extra weight of the heavier V6 engine on the front end affected the steering feel that much. The 2.0T was extremely nimble and light footed. Not as much for the V6. The ATS 2.0T responded to every minute steering input with faithful precision. Same for the ATS 2.0T’s throttle response. The torque (and acceleration) was not explosive like the V6, which occurred at a distinct rpm, but well controlled and always available at any speed down to a very low rpm. This was the magic of the modern turbo engine. This engine was voted among the 10 bests by Wards Auto, the automotive trade magazine. The finesse and precision in which the ATS 2.0T responds to the driver’s input in cornering, braking and acceleration makes it a joy to drive. It turns on a dime in fast cornering with no fuss. I never have enough time in my ATS 2.0T and always volunteer to be the family’s chauffer. And, I'll go for the turbo engine any car I buy from now.
    Last edited by mph; 08-03-2013 at 05:12 AM.

I bought a 1994 BMW 325i new and kept it for 12 years. They were truly ultimate driving machines in those days. But in the last 5 years I owned it I had to spend a fortune to keep it running. I have the same reliability issue with my current BMW 750i. My advice is not to own any Bimmer for too long. Leasing is a better option if you want a Bimmer.

Back to my ATS 2.0T. When I sent it in for the first service, the dealer gave me an ATS with the V6 for a loaner. Again, like I did the comparison with the BMW 328i in my earlier post, I drove my ATS 2.0Turbo before and after the naturally aspirated V6 loaner. It all comes to personal preference between the two ATS but I have to tell you this. The V6 had the best of the muscle car, especially with its load, throaty exhaust note and explosive acceleration while still keeping the virtue of a sport sedan. The 2.0T sounded more subtle albeit still sporty. It made itself heard when pressed hard - speaks when spoken to, with a well refined exhaust note. The most amazing thing I learned in this comparison was how different they felt in steering. I never thought that the extra weight of the heavier V6 engine on the front end affected the steering feel that much. The 2.0T was extremely nimble and light footed. Not as much for the V6. The ATS 2.0T responded to every minute steering input with faithful precision. Same for the ATS 2.0T’s throttle response. The torque (and acceleration) was not explosive like the V6, which occurred at a distinct rpm, but well controlled and always available at any speed down to a very low rpm. This was the magic of the modern turbo engine. This engine was voted among the 10 bests by Wards Auto, the automotive trade magazine. The finesse and precision in which the ATS 2.0T responds to the driver’s input in cornering, braking and acceleration makes it a joy to drive. It turns on a dime in fast cornering with no fuss. I never have enough time in my ATS 2.0T and always volunteer to be the family’s chauffer. And, I'll go for the turbo engine any car I buy from now.
    Just curious, but were you comparing same trim levels, i.e premium 2.0T to premium 3.6?

11. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements