ATS or Q50?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATS or Q50?

ATS or Q50?

2 cars gunning for the BMW limelight, which one has the legs to kick Beemer in the teeth? For 2 vehicles with the same goal in mind they go about it in markedly different tones. The Q50 is a techy geek trying to hack its way into hearts with gizmos that chime, whirr and remember your name. While the ATS is a street searing miniature beast of burden that will quicken your pulse if not careful...

Design wise the Q50 looks as if it was sculpted from the voluptuousness of the renaissance era, while the ATS is a contemporary edgy abstract. Infiniti has just given thier design language a refresh and the Q50 is the first to bear the marks of their labour, while the ATS continues with Cadillacs decade old Art & Science language. Really I expect an update of Cadillacs design language to come shortly as the industry seems to be moving away from angular carved with razor shapes.

2013-Cadillac-ATS-and-2014-Infiniti-Q50-parked.jpg

So Q50 would be the tech wizard and ATS would be the sophisticated jock. Q50 gives us the worlds first steer by wire system, similar to fly by wire in our beloved fighter jets. Q50 also gives a level of autonomy when it comes to actual driving, the Q50s tech will baby you as a driver, the only problem is Q50 doesnt really trust you as a driver. Most of the systems nanny the real fun out of operating a motor vehicle. While the fellas at Cadillac decided to focus on out driving the BMW 3 series. Caddy engineers bench marked the ATS against the E46 3-series chassis. the ATS strives to recreate the pinnacle of the 3 series experience with sharp steering feel and truthful feedback.

The Q50 is the prototype of where the luxury sedan market is going, high-tech, slightly sporty, all ambiance. The ATS ignores most of that and goes straight for the juggular, the Cadillac is about driving dynamics, nothing more, certainly nothing less.

You want a RWD performance experience without the impracticality of 2 doors? ATS is for you.

As most highschool gym classes will attest to, the geek rarely provides competition for the stronger, more athletic jock.

Both are great cars. The best way to find out is the test drive both and see which you can get a good price on.

I just came from a G37 coupe test drove the Q50 and it drove the same as the 37 did. Took the cadillac out and ended up leasing the ATS over the Q50. ATS handles much better plus with the 2.0T and how light this car is tuning will get this car to surpass the Q50 performance wise.

Plus the Q50 is about 200 more a month to lease since it is such a new car.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements

I am surprised you picked a 2.0T over your VQ37.

You feel that the 2.0T is powerful enough? I do agree the handling of the ATS is noticeably sharper. How is ride comfort compared to your G37?

Quote Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
    I am surprised you picked a 2.0T over your VQ37.

You feel that the 2.0T is powerful enough? I do agree the handling of the ATS is noticeably sharper. How is ride comfort compared to your G37?
    it shouldn't be too surprising seeing how a lot of people are downsizing, going to cars with a smaller more fuel efficient engine.
    can't wait to hear the response on the 2.0T over VQ37

Oh yeah by far you will be saving so much more gas. but the powerband I think would be different. If your ok with those changes than you should be fine.

I was ok with the power difference because I plan on to tune the car. Which should make the power comparable

Ahh ok. You made it sound like the 2.0T was as quick as the V6 in the G37. Understood.

Doing some quick arithmetic, on paper its true that the ATS 2.0T isn't all that different than the G sedan and coupe.

LBS/Horsepower:

G37 Sedan: 11.06 lbs/HP
    G37 Coupe: 11.0 lbs/HP
    ATS 2.0T: 12.4 lbs/HP
    ATS V6: 10.79 lbs/HP

The G coupe is actually heavier than the sedan by about 5 pounds, while the ATS 2.0T is ~300 lbs lighter than both.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
    Ahh ok. You made it sound like the 2.0T was as quick as the V6 in the G37. Understood.
    The 2.0T with tune is quicker than the V6 plus the 2.0T has that incredible midrange torque that make city driving effortless.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements