Coupes and New Caddys

Coupes and New Caddys

So it looks like only 2 months until we get to see an ATS coupe, all rumors point to a November Debut at the LA Auto Show. The ATS coupe should come in at $35k before ranging all the way up to $60k. That $35k starting tag may be enough to entice potential BMW 4 series owners into a Cadillac with a starting MSRP likely $5-7k cheaper than a German competitor.

The ATS sounded the battle cry in the war on BMW and the ATS coupe will be another carefully executed offensive. But what will be fun to see is how Cadillac brings the fight to the higher echelon segments. The Elmiraj thats expected to go toe to toe with the 7 series for example should be a stunner of a vehicle that can end up influencing the entire GM portfolio.

Cadillac will be giving us two new CUV models in 2017, one based off ATS and one based off XTS...

Im curious if there are any performance advantages to the coupe over the sedan. Like sportier suspension tune or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
    Im curious if there are any performance advantages to the coupe over the sedan. Like sportier suspension tune or anything like that.
    A lighter vehicle is the obvious one with the coupe version, seeing the direction Cadillac is going I know they will make the ATS coupe just as good or better than the M4 coupe.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements

Its actually not as obvious as one would assume. Intuitively it makes sense that if you lop off two doors the car should be two doors lighter, but that is just not the case.

G Coupe 1,652 kg
    G Sedan 1,681 kg

4 series 1,608 kg
    3 series 1,637 kg

C Coupe 1,550 kg
    C Sedan 1,506 kg

CTS Coupe 1,780 kg
    CTS Sedan 1,751 kg

Im not sure how much lighter an ATS coupe can be than an ATS sedan, if the CTS coupe outweighs the sedan i dont expect the ATS to do any better. I wonder what the cause of the increase in weight is? It could be the extra attention paid to structural rigidity or additional suspension pieces...

^ good stats, on a track those numbers would mean a lot but when it comes to where the average owner of those vehicles will be driving them, the slight increase in weight from coupe to sedan wont matter so much

It could be the different reinforcement for the the b pillar so its able to sustain from the chassis flex.

A Reuters piece i read this morning claims Cadillac is having difficulty with the ATS coupe. The answer to the 1 Series and CLA has been delayed, citing "supplier sources". Considering how tightly drawn the blinds are on the ATS coupe we dont even know how close or far it is from production, but I have heard that GM is finding a tough go of it downsizing the Alpha RWD platform into B-segment form.

I really want a domestic FRS/BRZ fighter. why should the Japanese get to have all the RWD fun...

This is the Chevy 130R concept, its supposed to be a small RWD coupe that slots in under the Camaro, you have to imagine this too will be based on a shortened Alpha platform, but if GM cant get the Alpha shortened they may have to explore other avenues. One potential is going at developing a purpose built small RWD platform, they could go at it jointly with one of the other domestics, likely Ford as Chrysler has everything they need in the FIAT parts bins..

Quote Originally Posted by antsy View Post
    A Reuters piece i read this morning claims Cadillac is having difficulty with the ATS coupe. The answer to the 1 Series and CLA has been delayed, citing "supplier sources". Considering how tightly drawn the blinds are on the ATS coupe we dont even know how close or far it is from production, but I have heard that GM is finding a tough go of it downsizing the Alpha RWD platform into B-segment form.

I really want a domestic FRS/BRZ fighter. why should the Japanese get to have all the RWD fun...

This is the Chevy 130R concept, its supposed to be a small RWD coupe that slots in under the Camaro, you have to imagine this too will be based on a shortened Alpha platform, but if GM cant get the Alpha shortened they may have to explore other avenues. One potential is going at developing a purpose built small RWD platform, they could go at it jointly with one of the other domestics, likely Ford as Chrysler has everything they need in the FIAT parts bins..

I can't wait for this, it's basically the Cobalt coupe successor, but much better with tech handed down from Cadillac.
    It will be a great FR-S/BRZ competitor.
    Cadillac should consider using it's platform for a small roadster

10. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements