Jerky Downshifts in My ATS 2.5L - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes same way with mine

I always questioned how bad or good engine breaking is, with the car setup for it, would it be contributing to future engine problems or do we not need to worry?

The downshift is in auto mode, not manual. It's very noticeable. I'll be slowing to a stop and I feel a definite braking effect when the engine shifts down to 2nd and 1st gears. The car slows very quickly when this happens. If it's normal I can live with it, but until I find out for sure I'm kind of nervous about it. I just received notice that my ATS is due for its 3 month maintenance check. I'll mention the downshifts when I take it in. Sure hope it's nothing serious! I'm a (very young) 63 year old woman who is no mechanic. This is the first 4 cylinder I've owned, so maybe it's just a difference in engines that I'm not used to?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements

An update: I took my ATS in for its three month maintenance check on Wednesday. I had a technician drive my car to check out the downshift. He assured me it's normal and the car is still "learning" my driving style. Now that I know it's normal I can live with it. In fact, I'm hoping I won't even notice the downshift after I've had the car a little longer. Sure do love driving a Caddy!

Its probably just engine braking to be honest with you. The gears might just provide more aggressive engine braking than normal. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanie1020 View Post
    An update: I took my ATS in for its three month maintenance check on Wednesday. I had a technician drive my car to check out the downshift. He assured me it's normal and the car is still "learning" my driving style. Now that I know it's normal I can live with it. In fact, I'm hoping I won't even notice the downshift after I've had the car a little longer. Sure do love driving a Caddy!
    Hello Yanie1020,

I am glad a technician was able to test drive your vehicle and help address your downshift concern. I am sorry if this frustrates you, but like the technician said, I hope after a few more months of "learning" the downshift becomes less noticeable. Continue to enjoy your Cadillac and if additional concerns or questions arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
    Its probably just engine braking to be honest with you. The gears might just provide more aggressive engine braking than normal. Not necessarily a bad thing.
    Well, for me, I drove my automatic in manual mode to teach it to downshift (and hold lower gears) even more aggressively. It now uses lower gears (higher RPMs) on its own. When I first got it, it would run away on this hill near my home, and I would have to hold the break all the way down the hill. After some months of driving it in manual mode, it learned that, if I am coasting with my foot touching neither pedal, on a hill with that slope, I prefer 3rd gear, 4th is okay, and I forbid 5th unless I am giving it gas. Now I can drive it in automatic down that same hill, and I never have to touch the break a single time! Even on other hills, it holds lower gears on its own unless I give it gas. And yes, coming to stops you can now REALLY feel the transmission help slow the car as it downshifts.

I LOVE how smart this car is!!!
    Last edited by JavaGirl; 10-05-2013 at 03:09 AM.

I have the same problem with my 2014 ATS 6cyl. The dealer assures me it is normal. I am very unhappy with this as I feel it is hurting gas mileage. When I lift my foot to coast to a stop sign the downshifts drag down the speed and I end up having to apply more gas to reach my stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary99 View Post
    I have the same problem with my 2014 ATS 6cyl. The dealer assures me it is normal. I am very unhappy with this as I feel it is hurting gas mileage. When I lift my foot to coast to a stop sign the downshifts drag down the speed and I end up having to apply more gas to reach my stop.
    Hi Gary99,

I can understand how something like this would be concerning. If you are interested, I would be happy to reach out to your dealership to discuss this issue on your behalf. Feel free to PM me with your VIN, mileage, preferred dealership, and personal contact information and I can open a case file on your behalf.

Have a great day,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

11. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements