ATS-V vs M3 and M4

ATS-V vs M3 and M4

So BMW just upped the ante with the 2014 M3 and M4. Performance figures for the two latest M cars were "leaked" yesterday, 3.0L TT I6 pumping out 430 hp/369 lb-ft in a 3,306 package. FYI thats 150 lbs lighter than the ATS currently (with the 4).

The ATS-V is expected to show up with a 3.6L V6 TT that will whip out approximately 420 hp/430 lb-ft of twist. although those figures are from the CTS, im expecting the Caddy boys to breach the 430 hp mark to at least top the BMWs on paperm, turbo tune anyone? The real challenge for the ATS-V will be shedding weight, the new Ms are carboned everywhere, from the trunk, to the hood, to the roof, to the front struts all the way through the driveshaft...

So the real challenge is going to be reducing the ATS' weight enough to keep it cornering with the M's.

although weight might be a problem, American car makers have been known to include more power in their engines, so maybe it will make up for it being heavier? Plus who knows, maybe there will be some use of carbon fiber that we don't know about yet.

that would be a great idea to cut down weight with carbon parts but that might drive up the price as well. Unless the price of carbon fiber goes down I don't see coming in to american cars soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements

the new vette is swathed in CF. I could see it on ATS in limited amounts

In limited amounts will be a good start...

should be a good challenge.

I'm expecting the ATS-V to top the M3 in torque which might help a bit with haulging the ATSV forward at the lower RPM range.

I think it comes down to raw grip and handling.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
    should be a good challenge.

I'm expecting the ATS-V to top the M3 in torque which might help a bit with haulging the ATSV forward at the lower RPM range.

I think it comes down to raw grip and handling.
    and weight
    if they can keep weight down, it will go a very long way in them making the ATS-V a class leader. I'm still surprsied Cadillac hasn't looked into carbon fiber tech as yet. The ATS would be the perfect car for it.

Aluminum is another option that can reduce weight. I think that carbon fiber would be nice, but it is unlikely to happen because of the extra cost that it would mean. As long as the ATS-V is right around the same performance specs as the M3 and M4 it will do fine. Of course, i am sure that Cadillac would be happy to be leading BMW in the HP department.

lots of aluminum and carbon fiber would be great in the ATS-V

set it apart from the ATS.

It makes sense to have some parts different than the base and for it to be the V model to set it apart performance functioning parts are important to draw in that specific crowd.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements