Quote Originally Posted by Truthiness View Post
I never really understood why they didn't offer the manual on all the models. its weird that they offer it on some but not all of the ATS models. I just want to know what the thought process was for Cadillac to come to the decision to not sell the manual. Must have something to do with budget and money. That's what it always comes down to.

In the end I don't think many people will miss it though. Driving manual is becoming a niche market.
1) They have to have every engine/trans/car tested for govt standards. That's expensive.
2) GM wants to do their own gazillion mile testing of every combo. That's expensive.
3) Manuals typically get worse mileage in the govt tests because autos can be tuned to suit the tests. That lowers the CAFE average which costs them money.

There are probably more reasons but it boils down to them thinking they will lose more money for those reasons than from lost sales for no auto with a 2.5 or 3.6.

They may have lost money on the 2.0T manual trans cars for 2013 for those reasons but thought they needed a manual for marketing reasons (i.e. to impress people who think a manual has to be available to be taken seriously as a driver's car). Even BMW is that way. Just try to find a manual trans 328 in dealer stock.

We are lucky to get a manual with the 2.0. And it's good that they at least offered it with the engine most preferred by performance focused buyers.

Even Porsche is eliminating traditional manual transmissions in road cars in the next few years.