Autoguide picks the Cadillac ATS as a car that should come manual but doesn't
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Autoguide picks the Cadillac ATS as a car that should come manual but doesn't

Finally someone has said what we are all thinking. Why doesn't the Cadillac ATS come with a manual transmission. The strange thing is that you can get a manual with some of the engines, but not with the V6. And there really is no excuse. There is a manual transmission mated to the very same V6 engine in other vehicles. What's the deal GM???

Quote Originally Posted by mr.smith View Post
    Finally someone has said what we are all thinking. Why doesn't the Cadillac ATS come with a manual transmission. The strange thing is that you can get a manual with some of the engines, but not with the V6. And there really is no excuse. There is a manual transmission mated to the very same V6 engine in other vehicles. What's the deal GM???
    It's worse than you think. I'm not biased since I much prefer the turbo with a tune to the 3.6 and didn't have to forego a manual trans. Its doubly bad to not have a manual with the 2.4 or 3.6 because the auto is a VERY bad one by today's standards.

But its no mystery why they don't offer it.

First, there isn't money in it because the take rate other than for auto journalists who aren't putting their money where their mouth is would be very low. I shopped a 328 against the ATS before buying and NO dealer in the entire state had or ever had a 328 with manual in inventory. The take rate was so low, they would only special order them. I was very pleased though to find that every Cadillac dealer I talked to had at least one token manual in stock. Cadillac might even lose some auto trans sales just by having a manual option. I've seen posts by people who were clearly glad they had to take an auto because it let them act like manual trans fans without having to actually drive one or explain why they went with an auto.

Auto trans are not subject to some types of abuse which increase warranty claims (or just as importantly, disputes) AND an auto can be manipulated to satisfy other manufacturer needs such as fuel mileage, etc..

Don't get me wrong, I hope they decide to offer a manual transmission but am willing to bet they never will other than for a single engine that is the most chosen by the same people that want a manual trans. So they at least did pick the right one to offer a manual with if they only offered it with one.

And we are probably lucky we got that one and did so at least partially because the desire to have that image was as important to Cadillac marketing as the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
    It's worse than you think. I'm not biased since I much prefer the turbo with a tune to the 3.6 and didn't have to forego a manual trans. Its doubly bad to not have a manual with the 2.4 or 3.6 because the auto is a VERY bad one by today's standards.

But its no mystery why they don't offer it.

First, there isn't money in it because the take rate other than for auto journalists who aren't putting their money where their mouth is would be very low. I shopped a 328 against the ATS before buying and NO dealer in the entire state had or ever had a 328 with manual in inventory. The take rate was so low, they would only special order them. I was very pleased though to find that every Cadillac dealer I talked to had at least one token manual in stock. Cadillac might even lose some auto trans sales just by having a manual option. I've seen posts by people who were clearly glad they had to take an auto because it let them act like manual trans fans without having to actually drive one or explain why they went with an auto.

Auto trans are not subject to some types of abuse which increase warranty claims (or just as importantly, disputes) AND an auto can be manipulated to satisfy other manufacturer needs such as fuel mileage, etc..

Don't get me wrong, I hope they decide to offer a manual transmission but am willing to bet they never will other than for a single engine that is the most chosen by the same people that want a manual trans. So they at least did pick the right one to offer a manual with if they only offered it with one.

And we are probably lucky we got that one and did so at least partially because the desire to have that image was as important to Cadillac marketing as the reality.
    How I see it, with where Cadillac is trying to go, which is be an American version of BMW, Mercedes, etc....is to start offering DCT and keeping manual an option where appropriate. Just imagine if we had a DCT 4 cylinder ATS, that would be epic. Even Ford threw a DCT in their new Focus.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Vseries View Post
    How I see it, with where Cadillac is trying to go, which is be an American version of BMW, Mercedes, etc....is to start offering DCT and keeping manual an option where appropriate. Just imagine if we had a DCT 4 cylinder ATS, that would be epic. Even Ford threw a DCT in their new Focus.
    While I would never buy a traditional auto trans except in a car that was REALLY special and didn't offer a manual (e.g. my Syclone) I would take a DCT with a setting for manual shifting over a traditional manual. The things I hate about traditional autos is shifting when I didn't want and any disconnect between engine RPM and drive shaft RPM (e.g. torque converter, etc.).

because noone buys manuals.

I just wonder if this is going to be a trend in the industry. It looks like it right now. More and more models will not offer manuals and slowly everything will be automatic. This makes sense for a number of reasons. Increased fuel efficiency, decreased demand, its cheaper to only have one type of transmission to install rather than two. Like it has been said, there are a few people who ill be really upset, there are some who will be upset but will still buy the vehicle, and there are some that won't even know that it happened because they would only have bought the automatic anyway.

I am willing to bet that Cadillac doesn't regret its decision or anything. The ATS is selling pretty well, right?

Quote Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
    because noone buys manuals.
    This would be why. They budgeted money to develop a manual transmission for one engine, and the 2.0T seemed the best fit.

Of course the V will likely be offered with a manual.

There could even be a chance the ATS V is not standard.

Maybe a DCT? Though I doubt it.

But I don't doubt the chance for it in the future.

I never really understood why they didn't offer the manual on all the models. its weird that they offer it on some but not all of the ATS models. I just want to know what the thought process was for Cadillac to come to the decision to not sell the manual. Must have something to do with budget and money. That's what it always comes down to.

In the end I don't think many people will miss it though. Driving manual is becoming a niche market.

At this stage they should be including DCT and manual options but car makers want to phase out manuals. It makes sense to offer a manual in the lower end more commuter-like trims, then DCT only for the high performance model, so that way you can help consumers maximize performance.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements