What kind of gas will the ATS use? Premium or Regular?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What kind of gas will the ATS use? Premium or Regular?

I'm everyone's been asked this question at least once. But seeing as how most engines made in the past decade are engineered to take both even though a lot of them recommend using only premium. So whats your 2 cents about about this topic?

Just go with whatever the manufacturer recommends. They always have actual data to back up their recommendation. Its not like they have a stake in the gas companies. If that was the case then every manufacturer would only recommend premium.

I would just use premium. Not because people say you get better mileage. Not because people say it makes it run faster. But mainly because most premium gases don't have ethanol mixed in. Also premium gases can remain stable in your tank way longer than regular gas. Meaning if ever for some reason you're unable to start it up for a long time it wont gunk up the fuel lines.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements

The cost isn't really that much. For a full tank of gas how much money do you save by using regular? 5 dollars?

If the motor is tuned for high performance it will likely require premium gas. The turbo 2.0 motor will definitely require 91 or higher.

There are many type of fuel for car like petrol, diesel, gas and so on. Today's era most of people prefer gas for car. Here you share such nice details about which type of gas good for car premium gas or regular gas. Its too good information for every car riders.

My 2.0T seems to run fine on regular. There might be a slight benefit in performance in using premium with this engine, but as long as it still allows regular, that's what i'll use.

I certainly understand your desire to keep costs down, but I am a little bit concerned with using a low octane fuel in a relatively small displacement engine (2.0L). It's my understanding that low octane fuel ignites more "violently" than higher octane which ignites more evenly and may be less likely to cause damage in the long run. If anyone has any thoughts on the possibility of long-term consequences of use of low octane fuel, I would like to hear them.

I don't think it has as much to do with small displacement engines, as it more deals
    with controlling engine knock. Cadillac I believe only recommends using premium, not requires it.

I only use BP premuim in my 2.0T ATS. I think you'll be ok if you use regular in a bind, but constant use will most likely cause knock especially in hot climates or heavy hot summer use. It's only about $4.-$5. difference per fill up not worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by ATS-V View Post
    I would just use premium. Not because people say you get better mileage. Not because people say it makes it run faster. But mainly because most premium gases don't have ethanol mixed in. Also premium gases can remain stable in your tank way longer than regular gas. Meaning if ever for some reason you're unable to start it up for a long time it wont gunk up the fuel lines.
    I don't know about other places, but in Michigan all pump gas is E10, 10% Ethanol.

All 3 engines have been calibrated to run 87, 93, or anything in between. 93 will definitely reduce knock and increase power and efficiency. If you baby your engine you will probably not see the benefits as much.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements