Lost keys, please, help.
Hi everyone! I'm in crisis and need help! I have lost my key fob from my 2018 ATS Premium Luxury, contacted dealer and they quoted like $600. plus gotta tow the car there!!! This is way too expensive... Any cheaper solutions that anyone has come across maybe? Any advice highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Well, i know how frustrating that may be! had the same issue about a few months ago.
Here is what I found out after a long research, helped me a lot.
I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc. (yours is a key fob)
Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.
This site helped me save a lot of money (more than $150).
Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:
1. Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think the work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.
2. Tow the car to the dealer.
3. Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).
Here is the link to read more:
If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, don’t forget to mention some important information so they will check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:
1. Year, make and model of the car
2. Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)
3. VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important
4. Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.
Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had.
There are 3 main types of keys:
Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)
Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make
Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive types of keys. Mostly made for models made after 2015.
The average cost is somewhere between $180-$450. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend, etc etc.
Here is the link for some additional information:
I hope it helps!
hi benbr17624! Thank you sooooooo much for such a long write-up! And yeah, the site is very informative - really helped us get our heads around the whole key replacement affair… also we found a decent locksmith through the site, it took them about half an hour to get here, and then another 40 min to make the new key and program it... all up, i think we saved around $150!
Try looking for the answer here. If you won't be able to find it, just ask the question, the community is extremely active and you'll get all the options you need in a matter of minutes. You'll get all the links to retailers and the names of the models. Hope it helps. Share your experience with it.
Thanks a lot. I already find solution.
Tags for this Thread