Which wheel to choose:premium trim machined finished or polished?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Which wheel to choose:premium trim machined finished or polished?

I'm about to order an ATS Premium trim Cadillac, but I'm stuck on wheel selection. The option is stay with the offered selection (Wheels 18" x 8" forged machined-finish aluminum wheels) or go with the optional $850.00, 18" x 8" forged polished aluminum wheels. The last wheels I had on my 2008 STS peeled and pitted like crazy, and would like to avoid that problem again. Would the polished versus the standard machine wheel make a difference? What say you? cadillac_ats_rims_18_polished_lg.jpgcadillac_ats_rims_18_mach_lg.jpg

Machined-finish would be easier to clean and keep clean, polished finish isn't as easy and would require some real polishing after a while as cleaning them wont bring it back to the like-new look.

Also if you plan on making these your ONLY wheel setup, Machined is the way to go as the polished aluminum finish will oxidize over time, and take a lot of effort to have it looking like new.

Thanks for the tips....

4. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements

My wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ATS-Guy View Post
    Machined-finish would be easier to clean and keep clean, polished finish isn't as easy and would require some real polishing after a while as cleaning them wont bring it back to the like-new look.

Machined is the way to go as the polished aluminum finish will oxidize over time, and take a lot of effort to have it looking like new.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe not.....Polished GM wheels are generally clear-coated for final finish, and are a piece of cake to clean and sparkle....the only 'effort' is the number of spokes !! My Corvettes have bad polished wheels, and were great. My present Vette has Chrome Wheels, which is the ultimate way to go.

The 10-spoke ATS Polished wheels are striking, paticularly with the staggered tire sizes for RWD and MRC.

I'd go with this as well

Quote Originally Posted by Duntov7 View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe not.....Polished GM wheels are generally clear-coated for final finish, and are a piece of cake to clean and sparkle....the only 'effort' is the number of spokes !! My Corvettes have bad polished wheels, and were great. My present Vette has Chrome Wheels, which is the ultimate way to go.

The 10-spoke ATS Polished wheels are striking, paticularly with the staggered tire sizes for RWD and MRC.
    Oh so I guess the only issue it to make sure your not using any chemicals that can damage that clear coat

Treat it like your car paint. There are plenty of wheel cleaners safe for clear coated wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by zr1mom View Post
    Treat it like your car paint. There are plenty of wheel cleaners safe for clear coated wheels.
    Exactly what everyone should do, i made a big mistake by using any random wheel cleaner i found on my chrome wheels and they were completely ruined!

At least now I know what to do with the ATS.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements