ATS Interior Light Bulb Replacements - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalibr View Post
    As for installation, it was pretty straight forward. The front footwells, front doors, glove box, trunk and license plate lamps all use a similar lamp housings, which can be easily removed by prying from one side. The map lights on the upper console was a little tricky since you have to remove the surrounding panel to get to the bulbs. Carefully pry it with a plastic tool in order not to scratch the panel. The rear dome lamps require you to remove the two screws that attach the handle. Once you do, you have access to the bulbs. Finally, the rear backup lights were fairly simple - just reach under the bumper, turn and unplug the two sockets. I definitely would like to change out the OEM headlight bulbs, but just waiting when I have some free time.

Let me know if you need more specifics.
    I am looking to replace all the interior lights also. The dome lights were easy once the overhead was removed. however, when I removed the footwell light housing the bulbs seem very hard to simply pop out. Did you have to completely disconnect the black cable going to the housing so the entire piece could be removed? I am hesitant about forcing anything...

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by PKells View Post
    I am looking to replace all the interior lights also. The dome lights were easy once the overhead was removed. however, when I removed the footwell light housing the bulbs seem very hard to simply pop out. Did you have to completely disconnect the black cable going to the housing so the entire piece could be removed? I am hesitant about forcing anything...

Thanks,
    Yes, I completely disconnected the black cable from the lamp housing. That gives better access to the bulb. You can use a plastic tool to carefully pry out the bulb from the housing. Btw, if the bulb does not light up the first time, simply remove the bulb and rotate it 180 deg. in the socket - unlike standard bulbs, LEDs only work in one direction.

I also replaced the glovebox light, rear dome lights, vanity mirrors, as well as the lights under the doors.

Yes, I completely disconnected the black cable from the lamp housing. That gives better access to the bulb. You can use a plastic tool to carefully pry out the bulb from the housing. Btw, if the bulb does not light up the first time, simply remove the bulb and rotate it 180 deg. in the socket - unlike standard bulbs, LEDs only work in one direction.

I also replaced the glovebox light, rear dome lights, vanity mirrors, as well as the lights under the doors.
    Thanks so much. I'll continue to pry the cable connector off the light housing then. I've already done the dome lights and backseat lights and those twist out lights were very easy to remove. Love the white light so look forward to completing the others.
    One last question for you. When you did the door lights did you have to pop off the entire door paneling to gain access to them? I was actually disappointed by how dim these stock lights were, so very much want to improve the brightness.

Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks so much. I'll continue to pry the cable connector off the light housing then. I've already done the dome lights and backseat lights and those twist out lights were very easy to remove. Love the white light so look forward to completing the others.
    One last question for you. When you did the door lights did you have to pop off the entire door paneling to gain access to them? I was actually disappointed by how dim these stock lights were, so very much want to improve the brightness.

Thanks!
    PKells, if by "door lights" you are referring to the small dim lamps that illuminate the interior door handles, I did not replace those. I would assume that would entail removing some part(s) of the door panel. I meant the lights at the bottom sill of the doors (see pic). These turn on when you open the door to illuminate the ground as you step out of the car. Those are similar to the housing in the footwell. You don't have to remove any panels at all, just use a flathead screwdriver to carefully pry out the housing. Here I also disconnected the black cable, which gives you better access and also eliminates the possibility of shorting out the fuse while installing the new bulb. Let me know how it turns out.

20130822_205729.jpg

PKells, if by "door lights" you are referring to the small dim lamps that illuminate the interior door handles, I did not replace those. I would assume that would entail removing some part(s) of the door panel. I meant the lights at the bottom sill of the doors (see pic). These turn on when you open the door to illuminate the ground as you step out of the car. Those are similar to the housing in the footwell. You don't have to remove any panels at all, just use a flathead screwdriver to carefully pry out the housing. Here I also disconnected the black cable, which gives you better access and also eliminates the possibility of shorting out the fuse while installing the new bulb. Let me know how it turns out.

20130822_205729.jpg
    Ok, now I understand the lights you were referring to. I do still hope to switch out the in-door lights to something a bit brighter though. I am coming from a CTS before and it has beautiful LED strip lighting on the dash and doors. So the first time i drove my ATS at night the I was a bit disappointing by how totally dark it was. Don't want the car to be distracting bright inside, but somewhat more than what those door lights currently let off.

I've used your comment earlier about bulb size to do all of the other interior lights to LED and very much light the white light they give off instead of the yellow. The only ones remaining are the visors which I am working on determining the correct bulb size.

If I do upgrade the in-door lights to something brighter I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again

Ok, now I understand the lights you were referring to. I do still hope to switch out the in-door lights to something a bit brighter though. I am coming from a CTS before and it has beautiful LED strip lighting on the dash and doors. So the first time i drove my ATS at night the I was a bit disappointing by how totally dark it was. Don't want the car to be distracting bright inside, but somewhat more than what those door lights currently let off.

I've used your comment earlier about bulb size to do all of the other interior lights to LED and very much light the white light they give off instead of the yellow. The only ones remaining are the visors which I am working on determining the correct bulb size.

If I do upgrade the in-door lights to something brighter I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again
    going all LED is worth it for both the interior and exterior

Thanks again
    I was also disappointed with the in-door lights as well. If you figure out how to access them, please let me know. I'd like to switch those out too.

I thought I had posted the bulb type for the visor, but guess I missed it. They are the 29mm 3-SMD 5050 LED 6641 6614F Fuse type. Here's an eBay link...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-1-15-29...4743b6&vxp=mtr
    If you find them to be too bright, you can rotate them in their sockets to direct the light a bit to the side.

I was also disappointed with the in-door lights as well. If you figure out how to access them, please let me know. I'd like to switch those out too.

I thought I had posted the bulb type for the visor, but guess I missed it. They are the 29mm 3-SMD 5050 LED 6641 6614F Fuse type. Here's an eBay link...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-1-15-29...4743b6&vxp=mtr
    If you find them to be too bright, you can rotate them in their sockets to direct the light a bit to the side.
    yeah we'll need some DIY's on this, hopefully either someone can get their hands on a service manual or just take the time to pull things apart to get to the bulbs.

10. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements