Jerky Downshifts in My ATS 2.5L
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jerky Downshifts in My ATS 2.5L

When I'm slowing down and the engine is downshifting into 2nd and 1st gears, it feels like the brake has been engaged. The downshift is that jerky. Is anyone else having this problem? I have the basic 2.5L and I'm very happy with everything else about this car.

No idea what it could be, have you spoke to your dealer about it?
    They would be the primary source for some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanie1020 View Post
    When I'm slowing down and the engine is downshifting into 2nd and 1st gears, it feels like the brake has been engaged. The downshift is that jerky. Is anyone else having this problem? I have the basic 2.5L and I'm very happy with everything else about this car.
    Hello Yanie1020,

I am sorry you are experiencing an issue when the engine downshifts into 2nd and 1st gears that it feels like the brake has been engaged. I see you are happy with everything else with your ATS, which is great. If you would like to further discuss this concern or would like to work with a dealership in regards to this issue, please let us know! We are here to help.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

4. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements

Just wanted to give an update on the somewhat 'jerky' downshifting in my basic 2.5L (automatic) ATS. I had a mechanic friend drive it and he said it feels completely normal to him. In fact, he said it should save on the brakes, as the downshift is slowing the car without having to use excess force on the brake pedal. My last car was a Ford Fusion (V6) and I don't recall ever noticing the downshift. Wondering if the fact that the ATS is a 4 cyclinder has anything to do with this? Neglected to ask my mechanic friend this question.

Anyone else feel the downshift in your automatic ATS when you're coasting to a stop?

My ATS transmission downshifts and keeps higher RPMs. It does save on the breaks. It is a very nice feature. I love it.

I read your original post some time ago and was going to comment, but got busy with other things. So, I will say it now. Enjoy this cool downshift feature of your ATS.

By the way, the car learns your driving style, and will become more like what you want it to be as time goes on. If you really don't like this feature (but that would be hard for me to understand why), but if you really don't like it, put your car in manual mode and shift it yourself when you want. It will slowly learn what you want. At least mine did, and now even in automatic it downshifts at even higher speeds for even more RPMs than it did before.

Did I say I love those features of this car?
    Last edited by JavaGirl; 09-20-2013 at 03:03 AM.

Just wanted to give an update on the somewhat 'jerky' downshifting in my basic 2.5L (automatic) ATS. I had a mechanic friend drive it and he said it feels completely normal to him. In fact, he said it should save on the brakes, as the downshift is slowing the car without having to use excess force on the brake pedal. My last car was a Ford Fusion (V6) and I don't recall ever noticing the downshift. Wondering if the fact that the ATS is a 4 cyclinder has anything to do with this? Neglected to ask my mechanic friend this question.

Anyone else feel the downshift in your automatic ATS when you're coasting to a stop?
    Hello Yanie1020,

Thank you for sharing this information with everyone. I see you worked with your friend to look at your vehicle. I am sorry if this downshift is an annoyance for you, but it seems like it might be operating as designed. If you do want to bring your vehicle into the dealer for a diagnosis, please let us know.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Why not just bring it to the dealer the next time you do an oil change and ask if its normal.

Without sitting in the car its hard to tell if its normal or not

There should be engine braking during downshift but if its excessive it could be a problem.

Thanks for the advice, cfrp, and I'll probably do that. It only has 1500 miles on it right now so it'll be a while before I need the oil changed.

Which brings me to another question: is it necessary to change the oil in a new car after the first 1000 miles? I've heard different opinions on this. Wouldn't the manufacturer (GM) recommend this if it were needed?

Thanks for the advice, cfrp, and I'll probably do that. It only has 1500 miles on it right now so it'll be a while before I need the oil changed.

Which brings me to another question: is it necessary to change the oil in a new car after the first 1000 miles? I've heard different opinions on this. Wouldn't the manufacturer (GM) recommend this if it were needed?
    I have heard mixed opinions on this.
    Some people say changing oil before the first oil change interval will help with getting rid of engine metal shavings since they're more present when the engine is brand new, apparently resulting in a better break-in process. Also some say wait for the first service interval. I also heard the oil new cars come with may be specially blended just for new engines, ,so getting rid of it before you have to can be doing harm.

are the downshifts in typical auto mode or are you downshifting in manual mode? It makes all the difference, the ATS will engine brake itself to save its "clutch", the revs should shoot up. What you do need to watch for is if the nose is diving while the ATS downshifts. If it nose dives aggressively, there is an issue, if not, no worries...

12. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacATSForum.com
    Advertisements